The Observatory urges the competent authorities to take the necessary measures to ensure the security and physical and psychological integrity of all human rights defenders in Honduras, and to implement policies of protection and public recognition of the legitimate work they carry out.
How You Can Help
Please write to the authorities in Honduras urging them to:
i. Carry out an independent, immediate, exhaustive and impartial investigation into the murder of Pablo Hernández, in order to identify the intellectual and material perpetrators, bring them before a competent, independent and impartial tribunal and apply the criminal and/or administrative sanctions provided by the law. The investigation should prioritise the hypothesis that this crime is the result of his activities as a human rights defender, as established by international human rights standards;
ii. Immediately adopt all necessary measures to guarantee the safety and physical integrity and psychological well-being of all human rights defenders in Honduras;
iii. Put an end to all types of attacks and harassment, including at the judicial level, against all human rights defenders in Honduras;
iv. Implement policies of recognition, including public recognition by the President of the Republic and other high-level officials, of the importance of the legitimate work carried out by human rights defenders in Honduras.
- Mr. Juan Orlando Hernández, President of the Republic. E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Jackeline Ancheta, Secretary of State for Justice, Human Rights, Governance and Decentralisation. E-mail: email@example.com
- Mr. Oscar Chinchilla, Attorney General of the Republic. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Danilo Morales, Director General of the System for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, Journalists, Social Communicators and Justice Operators. E-mail: email@example.com
- Ms. Blanca Sarahy Izaguirre Lozano, National Commissioner for Human Rights. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Mr. Rolando Edgardo Argueta Pérez, President of the Supreme Court of Justice. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Ambassador Mario Alberto Fortín Midence, Permanent Mission of Honduras to the United Nations in Geneva. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ambassador Roberto Ochoa Madrid, Embassy of Honduras in Brussels. E-mail: email@example.com
- Ambassador Luis Cordero Montoya, Embassy of Honduras to the OAS. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also write to the diplomatic representations of Honduras in your respective countries.